Friday 30 September 2011

Just a Glossy Magazine?

I am feeling the urge to have a moan.
This has come about from the very regular occurrence of travelling on the train and reading the discarded papers and magazines.

I am a Woman. I love; fashion, books, films, theatre, horoscopes and dare I say it the odd snippet of celeb gossip.  I generally like ‘Women’s Magazines’, but after reading both a magazine aimed at Men and a magazine aimed at Women today on the train, I cannot help but feel a little bit short changed at the women’s offering.

OK I get that I am not your typical girly girl, but who is?! 

Most of the women I know have diverse interests, from technology, sport, crafting, fitness, cooking, film, holidays, and health.  And although many of the female centred topics are covered, other things are very often absent or are provided with only with the occasional feature piece.

Surely I cannot be the only Woman in the world who is interested in technology?! 

Every woman I know has a Mobile phone (most of them are smart phones), most have mp3 players too, women use desktops, lap tops and iPad’s, women use social networking, online shopping, watch you tube, use freaking hair dryers and hair straighters!

So where is the technology section in women’s magazines?

I don’t want to stereotype (realising I just have in the paragraph above) but women ARE interested in technology, but not necessarily in the same way men are.  I love good tech, but I want it to look good as well as do a great job.  I want my new TV to compliment the decoration on my lounge not dominate it (when was the last time you saw a layout in the home section that included a TV and surround sound as well as awesome cushions?), but I also want future proof technology, a fantastic picture quality and great sound.

The technology industries need Women!  They need our points of view our ideas, creative thinking, leadership, and our brains.  I teach IT, and I hear so many women who say  ‘I let my boyfriend/husband/kids do that for me’ its completely frustrating, technology is for everyone, not just the man of the house or your kids.

Where is the sport section? 

Why are we not using the medium to promote women’s sport?  I don’t mean the ubiquitous Pilates or Yoga, but where is the coverage of women’s football? Rugby? Tennis? Athletics? Cycling?

We are constantly told that sport is good for us, physically, socially and emotionally, so why is it that I see so little of women’s sport being promoted?  It is male sports that dominate the TV schedules and sports pages, why can’t the balance be redressed a little?  And why cant this be redressed ain a publication that is aimed at women?

Surely if these magazines are about empowering women to be rounded and informed individuals, why-oh-why only keep those women informed about typically female centred topics?

If men’s magazines can have fashion and grooming (read beauty) pages why can’t women get technology and sport pages?

Rant Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment